15 April 2020
City of Johannesburg introduces web link billing (sms notification) for municipal statements during covid-19 lockdown period
The City of Johannesburg is pleased to inform its customers that municipal bills, ordinarily delivered via the South African Post Office and/or by email for those customers who have registered on the City’s e-services platform, will continue to reach them during the Covid-19 lockdown period and beyond.
This initiative forms part of the measures taken during the Covid-19 lockdown to ensure that our customers receive their monthly municipal statements on time and in the safety and comfort of their own homes.
SMS notifications, containing customer invoices, will be send to customers via their cell phones as it appears on our billing system. SMSes will contain a link to the actual statement which can be viewed through a secured portal or send via email as per customers’ preference. Should customers feel the need to validate the SMS, they may visit the E-Services platform on www.joburg.org.za or register on the City’s E-services platform to receive their municipal statement/s via email. The following are easy steps to follow to register on line:
1) Log onto the City’s website at www.joburg.org.za;
2) Select the “e-services” button on the home page;
3) You will be asked to provide some personal information and to choose a username and password;
4) Once registered, you can log on with your username and password;
The advantages/benefits of the SMS method (web link billing) of distributing municipal statements are as follows:
- Customers will receive their statements almost immediately once billed;
- Customers will receive their statements 1-2 days after it’s been produced, which means customers receive their statements well before the payment due date;
- Customers can view their statements and manage their accounts from anywhere in the world;
- Customers are able to view and pay immediately without having to wait for an actual invoice;
- Customers won’t experience the inconvenience of delayed postage services.
The City is trying to make it as safe, comfortable and easy as possible for our customers to receive, pay and manage their municipal accounts. The following methods may be used when paying monthly municipal accounts:
- Internet payments: Kindly arrange with your bank to add City of Johannesburg as a beneficiary. Most major banks have City of Johannesburg already pre-loaded as a beneficiary. Visit Standard Bank, ABSA, FNB, Nedbank etc. Your nine (9) digit municipal account number must be used as your unique customer reference number.
- Easy Pay: Pay at any retail outlet providing it is an Easy Pay facility. Pick-n-Pay Supermarkets, Shoprite Checkers, Spar Supermarkets and any Easy-Pay points, as well as other accredited vendor points. Remember to retain your slip as proof of payment. Simply use your previous month’s bill as reference. Be sure to pay before your account due date for processing the transaction. When making use of this facility, payments will only appear after three business days on the City’s billing system.
The City wishes to thank our loyal paying customers and remind all customers to continue paying their municipal bills during the lockdown period on or before the applicable due date printed on their municipal statements. Should customers have a query on their municipal account/s, they may log a query by sending an email to email@example.com. It must be noted that the query will only be attended to once the query resolution team is back in office after the lockdown period.
Should customers not have received their municipal statement for some or other reason or do not know the balance on municipal statement/s, they should continue paying the average monthly consumption in order to keep accounts up to date.
We would furthermore like to urge residents to abide by the Covid-19 regulations during the lockdown period and to remain at home.
Issued on behalf of:
Cllr Jolidee Mantogo
Member of the Mayoral Committee for Finance
City of Johannesburg
For Media Enquiries:
Media Relations Specialist
Office of the Finance MMC
Contact details: 0633366231