27 September 2021
Johannesburg Water’s Systems Stable
Yesterday a veld fire under Eskom’s Snowden High-voltage Substation supply line severely affected Rand Water’s Zuikerbosch Water Treatment Works which feed to numerous Johannesburg Water reservoirs and towers. Power supply has since been restored and Johannesburg Water’s systems are stable.
With Rand Water Level-1 water restrictions already implemented, Johannesburg Water may implement further restrictions should the need arise, which will impact customers in higher lying areas with low pressure or no water supply. We urge customers to reduce water consumption during this critical time. Under Level-1 restrictions, watering of gardens is not allowed in summer months between 6 am and 6 pm (1 Sept to 31 March) and residents are also not allowed to wash driveways and paved areas using hose pipes.
Water Saving Tips:
• Do not leave taps dripping
• Wash your car on the grass, this will water your lawn at the same time.
• Shorten your showering time
• Use a glass of water to rinse when brushing your teeth.
• Take shallow baths and avoid filling your bath to a depth greater than 100mm
• Re-use grey water to water your garden or pot plants.
Johannesburg Water is committed to providing sustainable water and restrictions will be enforced in a form of fines to consumers who contravened the Water Services by-law and consumers are urged to report non-compliance to the JMPD 24/7 hotline on 011 758 9650.