05 July 2021
The explosion at Rand Water’s Palmiet Booster Pumping Station has immensely affected Johannesburg Water’s supply to numerous areas across the City. Palmiet currently can only pump at below capacity due to pump trips impacting the South Hills tower and The Greater Midrand Reservoirs are also running low and areas such as Greater Ivory Park already do not have water.
The cause of the explosion is still unknown and a root cause analysis is currently being investigated, the repairs to the damaged infrastructure is currently being done on an emergency basis.
Rand Water is currently working around the clock to conduct repairs and restore supply and currently not able give an estimated period for the repairs. Water tankers will be provided in the interim, a comprehensive list of the position of the tankers can be found on our social pages and website.
We do anticipate that more areas could be affected and communication will be updated throughout the course of the day.
All Midrand Suburbs
South Hills Tower:
Tanks in the Midrand region:
• Kopanong Shopping Centre, along Riverside road
• Ivory park 2 Taxi rank, along 21 September.
• Yarona shopping centre, along angelfish.
• Behind Mayibuye clinic, along Theresa rd.
• BP Garage, Ruitekker road
• Klipfontein View Taxi rank, along Nancy ndamase
• BP Garage, le roux and bekker
Noordwyk/blue hills/country view
• Blue hills shopping centre, along summit road.
Water Tank Points in Linmeyer and Southhills:
• Corner of Risi Avenue and Johan Meyer Street
• Corner of Michael street and East Street
• Elizabeth Street Park
• Corner of Adelaide Avenue and Aida Street
• Corner of Diedricks avenue and Prince Albert Street (or in Prince Albert Street Park)
For media enquiries please contact Nondumiso Mabuza 060 555 3156.